Thursday, November 18, 2010

That's What it's All About!

Whew. It has been an insane week so far. I've been trying to continue writing this NaNoWriMo book, but, as you can see, I'm behind. I'm also officially unemployed now. Guess it's time to start drinking heavily and sitting around in my underwear. I had my last day of work yesterday. Wish me luck finding a job or two or three! And my band is in the recording studio this weekend, so that's pretty exciting! Lots of stuff. We've been having these insane marathon rehersals, so I'm tired. Very tired.

So, I promised I would let you know what my NaNoWriMo book is about, and, even though it is slightly embarrassing, I will make good on that promise. So, here goes:

My book is about a fifteen-year-old girl who has a mental health disorder. The disorder (which I sort of made up), is that she feels everything more intensely than everyone else. When she feels pain, it is crippling and overwhelming. When she feels joy or happiness, it is so intense that she can barely breathe. And it's terrifying because she knows the good feelings will eventually end. Her parents are divorced and she lives with her mother and sees her dad on Wednesdays and every-other weekend. Her mother owns her own business, which is an organizing business (I promise these exist... I know it's insane). So, by virtue of being a business owner, she purchased the health insurance plan that she and her one employee have. She didn't do her research and cheaped out on it. When the main character had her first nervous breakdown at school, the guidance counselor advised that she see a therapist weekly. So, because she was covered by a crappy plan, she had to go see the one therapist in town who took the plan. He left her condition undiagnosed and she steadily had a harder and harder time dealing with it all. So, the book follows a few days in the life of this poor teenager who can barely hold it together in every single moment.

The catalyst for change in the book comes when the insurance company the mother purchased a plan through goes under. So, she is forced to purchase a new plan, which means that Brennan has to change doctors. So, she does, gets diagnosed, and then gets put on meds. Eventually, she calms down, and deals with all the things that antidepressants bring to a person's life. I'm not sure exactly how it will end, but the question I want to leave hanging in the air will be whether or not taking mood-altering drugs was a good thing or a bad thing for her. Was it better to change herself that way? I guess I want it to be like, one way she feels too much, and the other way she feels very little. Which is better?

So, that's my story, which I am only half-finished telling. One thing's for sure... writing everyday is challenging and wonderful. When November is over, I can focus a little more on my blog, which I'm very excited about.

Alright, time to go to my fourth band practice this week.

3 comments:

  1. wow. can't wait to read it chica! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Possum, that's awesome! Try to get dressed today. I'll be waiting to read your story....when you finish. There is no pressure in my world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'm so behind right now.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!