Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Studio Magic

So, this past weekend I was in the recording studio for 16+ hours. My band is making its debut album (woo!), so all six of us spent many hours recording rhythm tracks for 12 of our original songs. And the spare time I had between sessions I spent making lead sheets (essentially maps) for each of our songs so we would be as productive as possible (Am I a first born? Yes. Perfectionist? Yes. Control freak? Yes.). As a result, zero writing has occurred. I've also tried to find a job. Because I am now unemployed, meaning zero money is coming in. Meaning no spending! Meaning, eat what is in the house, damnit. No sushi for you.

Anyways, being in the studio felt incredibly glamorous, I ain't gonna lie. I alternated between mainlining beer and coffee, resulting in dehydration. Several amusing "inside" jokes arose, including sending for "strippers, cocaine, and hand warmers." Also, when I told Chris his guitar (which I was then playing) wouldn't stay in tune, he said something to the effect of "now you know I feel." (PS- Have I mentioned that Chris and I are both in the same band?) The sound engineer promptly called for a guitar tech and a marriage counselor. (:

SO, we still have a lot of work to do, but we're hoping the album will be released by the end of January. It's gonna be rock n' roll. Fo Sho!

It's also very cool because modern technology makes it so that we can fix minor mistakes without redoing entire sections of the rhythm. It's like, you don't even have to be good to make a good album (read, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, The Jonas Brothers, etc). I'm not a music snob at all (NOT).

In fact, my father raised me to be a music snob. By the time I was three, he could ask me who we were listening to, and I could say so with fair accuracy: "The Beatles!" "Van (The Man) Morrison!" And boy was I proud to be able to do so. In fact, I still am. A love for music trivia is one of the things my dad instilled in me that I'm quite happy about. He has this awesome book (actually, it is so worn and beat up that I'd call it more of a stack of paper) called The Book of Rock Lists, which is kind of his Bible. Gimme Somma That Old Time Religion! He found a copy awhile back and gave it to me! My very own Holy Book. Also, inspired by my dad, I started collecting records in high school. There's not much that's better than listening to a good album on vinyl. Mmmmmm. Warm.

And soon I will have an album of my own... so. very. cool. I've been trying to convince my band that we should release it on vinyl, but they're not really going for it...

So, here are some of the photos I took in the studio (The Sound Studios, LLC). I didn't want to put any pics of people, since I haven't asked any of them if I could.















Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to Me!