Monday, August 23, 2010

White Trash Anniversary

Chris and I have been together for 5 years today. Our day can only be described as a "white trash" anniversary celebration (I do have West BY GOD! Virginia blood in me). It started with us getting up at the last possible second before having to leave the house. We both pulled on shorts and t-shirts without having showered and got in the car.

Our new place came with washer/dryer hookups sans washer/dryer (We were secretly hoping the previous tenants would leave theirs, but, alas, no such luck). So, after scouring craigslist, we found an ad for a washer/dyer set for FIFTY DOLLARS. That's Five-Oh dollars for both a washer and a dryer. Pretty hard to pass up, eh? We set out for Waynesboro (about a 40-minute drive) this morning. This lady lives out in the booooo-hooooo-nies. We got lost on the way there. But, eventually, we pulled into a gas station to ask for directions. One of those really nice country folk was working the cash register and he gave us great directions to get where we needed to go. You know the type: Flannel-wearing, extremely kind and polite, counts your change back to you when you buy something ("that's five, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, and sixty-five cents makes fifteen"), thanks you profusely and wishes you well.

Anyways, we got to the house. Now, for fifty dollars we both expected these appliances to be total pieces of shit.  Much to our surprise, they seemed to be in extremely good condition. Like, much nicer than many of the washer/dryers we saw for hundreds of dollars. Woo! We had a bit of a time getting the washer and dryer into the car, but did (call me Superwoman, please).

Now comes the really redneck part of our anniversary day. We headed to the Shoneys for lunch. For breakfast for lunch. Ha, don't you love how, when you get out into the country, everything has a "the" in front of it? "I'm going to THE Shoneys." "I'm going to THE Walmart." As if there are no other Shoneys or Walmarts anywhere, ever. So Chris ate his chicken-fried steak (EW) and I ate my eggs, grits, and bacon. Classy couple, we are. And Shoneys is as white-trash as you get! Chris pointed out that I was the skinniest person in the restaurant. We ate, I drank the bad coffee, and we headed out (Happy annie-versary babey!).

And then the day got even more white-trashy; cuz we stopped by THE Walmart. We got a bookshelf and a few other odds and ends.

We got home with our new loot, and Chris started trying to hook up our new (old!) washer/dryer set. The hoses kept leaking, so we went to Lowes to get new ones. THEN, the hot water hose kept leaking. Um, sucky. We decided to just keep the cold water hooked up, and then, we went to plug in the dryer. ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND more shit: Our dryer is newer than our house, and, apparently, they (I have no clue who "they" are) changed dryer cords in 1996 (I was nine). So, the shit didn't fit. The male parts didn't go into the female parts (bow, chicka bow wow, oh.). SO, we had to go back. to. Lowes. Chris (call him Superman) rewired our dryer and got it working. Hallelujah!!!!!!!!! Two loads of laundry done bitches! Sorry, you're not bitches. Just got excited.

After the debacle, we went to the grocery store and then the liquor store. We spent over $75 to start our "liquor collection (yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwww!)"

Now, that's a white trash anniverary (love you babey).

RYAN'S RECOMMENDATIONS:

Listening: "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magentic Zeros. A Charlottesville radio station called WNRN plays this song all the time. It's awesome. And crazy weird. Oh yeah, and awesome.

Reading: Chesapeake. Really like this book, ya'll.

Watching: Sex and the City, Season 4. I am drinking a homemade Cosmopolitan (yeah, liquor cabinet) while watching Sex and the City. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yes.

Working Out: I had a doctor's appointment last week. It's official: I've lost 30-lbs in about 9 months. In fact, I've sort of accidentally done down a size past where I meant to. So, it's eating yummy stuff and working out. Great combo really. Doing 30-Day Shred a few times a week.


3 comments:

  1. Tara,

    Ha, I'm so happy to be past the days of trudging across the apartment complex only to have some stranger take my laundry out of the washer before I could get back to it. Ew.

    Anyways, I'm telling you, the 30-Day Shred DVD Jillian Michaels put out is awesome. It's not the easiest thing ever, but you have to go into it not expecting to do every exercise perfectly right off the bat. It's only 24-minutes long. And there are three levels. Once you start feeling like level 1 is getting easy-ish, you move to level two, which forces your body to keep changing. And it incorporates circuit training, which is highly effective in burning fat.

    I also watched what I ate. I ate a lot of salmon and chicken, and I also made spinach salads with a little goat cheese and walnuts with a low-fat dressing. I made sure to eat breakfast every morning (jump-starts your metabolism for the day). I didn't drink alcohol except for the occasional drink (one). I made sure to eat something with some carbs and a good bit of protein (granola with almonds usually) about 45 mintues to an hour before working out. That way I wouldn't get too hungry or tired and make an excuse not to exercise.

    Also, note that I had just gotten off antidepressants. I believe part of my weight gain can be attributed to meds. So perhaps that helped too.

    Good luck! You can do it. Try to have the mentality that exercise is for you and no one else. It's your "you" time. Don't let other people get in the way of your "you" time, because you are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, that sounds like "romance on a stick" to me. I was just in Waynesboro!!! I ate at "the" Steamers on our way home from Florida....damn, wish I'd have known you were close by ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dharma, I am totally stealing "romance on a stick." Crazy that you were just in Waynesboro! Hope your trip was amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!