Monday, August 2, 2010

Make...Believe

Not much to report over here in Grandma's House World today. Though, I must say, living in a gated community is so weird. Again, like another planet. Of course, I took a long walk this evening, and, in this highly-monitored environment, I still had some jerk yelling things at me from his car while I was strolling down the street. If I was Spaceman Spiff, I would have set my lazer gun to "kill-me-a-dumbass." Made me wonder how much members pay to feel "safe" in their community. Sigh. I always fantasize about coming up with the perfect response to these people, but it never seems to come out of my mouth. All this talk of Spaceman Spiff if making me wish my Calvin and Hobbes books weren't in storage.

Anyways, earlier today, my grandma told me that, if I wanted, I could put my makeup in this basket in the bathroom. And, I was like, "um, I don't actually wear makeup," and my grandma gave me the does-not-compute look and just said, "oh." So I started thinking about makeup and my lack thereof. I was trying to remember how old I was when my friends started wearing it, and I came up with 7th grade. So, the girls who started wearing makeup when they were 13 have 11 years of makeup wearing experience on me. Wow. Actually, I tried eye shadow in 7th grade for a hot minute. I remember putting a shitton of blue, green, or brown eye shadow on and then trying to get out of the house without getting crap from anyone. And  I also remember being stopped by my parents for "looking like a hooker" and then being made to wipe it off. I wanted to look that way (like a hooker) SO BADLY. When you're in 7th grade, you want to do everything everyone else is doing SO BADLY. And if you're not allowed, it's NOT FAIR! I HATE YOU! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! And it's the end of the world as you know it. I remembering wanting "flared" jeans so badly it physically hurt. Anyways, I also once got my makeup done in New York City on my 16th birthday. Looking back at the pictures, I would say that I looked like a total clown. So, I went to a Broadway show like this:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
I'm not trying to offend people who wear makeup, but I just don't get it. Why do we need to cover up our beautiful faces? And why should women, not men, be especially expected to wear it? And what the hell do 13-year-olds with babies' butts for skin need with frickin' makeup?????? Like, for seroius! A 13-year-old needs makeup like a fat kid needs a second piece of cake (yes, I'm going to hell). I also remember playing soccer in high school with this one girl who was totally obsessed with makeup. She would "do" her makeup before playing a soccer game. Um? And, rumor had it, she "did" her makeup before GOING TO SLEEP. In case someone decided to photograph her while she slept? In case there was a fire and she had to run outside (and had to look perfect)? SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!

Anywho, I don't wear makeup. Ever. Neither does my sister. Maybe we just have good genes? (: I really don't want to. And I don't want to "have" to like some women say they do.

Anyways, I'd love to hear from some women who do wear makeup and like it. Get the other side of things. I sincerely just don't get it!

And yes, I realize I failed Girl 101.

RYAN'S RECOMMENDATIONS:

Listening: My stepmom recommended Firecracker by The Wailin' Jennys to me. I haven't listened to it yet, but I've heard great things about the band.

Reading: Chesapeake by James Michener. Only 20 pages in, but I'm really enjoying his writing style and the first main character, Pentaquod.

Working Out: I went for a long walk today (as I mentioned above). It was mentally relaxing. If you are unable to do high impact exercise, walk walk walk.

9 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY who you are speaking of who wore make-up at night!!!! Gross...I DO wear makeup, but not the foundation or concealer crap. That's like paste for your face. If you have beautiful skin, don't cover it up. The MOST I wear at 1 time is mascara and maybe some eyeliner. I never wore it when I played soccer (can you imagine that crap running down your sweaty face while you're sprinting up the field?? Eewwww...), and I never wear it to bed (can you say clogged pores and pimples??).

    I've been told, with my impending wedding, that I would look washed out of my photos if I didn't have makeup on. I'm literally refusing to put any foundation or concealer on. It's not me, andI don't need my fiance wondering who this stranger is walking towards him arm-in-arm with my father ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caitlin, you're going to look beautiful at your wedding! And no way can I imagine wearing makeup whie playing soccer! Ew indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for putting the CD on the blog. I'm ordering it NOW :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, girl--behind in your posts b/c I've been out of town, but obviously I found this one of special interest. You know I'm a makeup ADDICT.

    First. I've found that the perfect response to cat-callers is a casually-delivered but not irritated 'Not appropriate'--accompanied by a dismissive hand-wave. Feels nice not to be cowed into silence or an awkward 'thanks' or something.

    Second. Ahh, makeup. Glorious makeup. I find it extremely empowering. It's my war paint. I like having artistic control over my face. It's a creative outlet and an art form (ask the Egyptians), and I do it for myself first and everyone else second. It makes me feel confident, makes me look prettier (this is not the case with all women, but it is with some; we wouldn't do it if it made us look worse), enhances my outfits, and accentuates my eccentricity (since I tend to apply crazier makeup, I'm told...). It feels sacred and old and ceremonial. I can't imagine my mornings without this calming and fun ritual.

    The Picts (an ancient warrior people from Britain) painted themselves blue before battle. Why? To control the impression received by their enemies, to set themselves apart, to define themselves as Picts. On a more domestic note, eye contact is an extremely important component of my social interaction, so I honor my eyes by outlining, fringing, and coloring around them. Think of it as facial pageantry. Think of it as social manipulation (a vestigial leftover of that pre-battle intimidation). It gives us (a measure of) power over men, and others. Not vice versa. It's a way of honoring my body, like decorating a building. It's the little aesthetic excesses in life that make it worth living. A tribute to Beauty-with-a-capital-B.

    Does any of this make sense? I definitely get your point. Makeup should NOT be obligatory. That's ridiculous--like saying everyone should have to get a tattoo or dye their hair or pierce their ears or something. (<--I've never done any of these things). What really bothers me is shaving. Can we talk about shaving? It's such a pain. And why do we have to do it and not guys?

    Also, for the record, I guiltily love eyeliner on men. I would be very happy if they all started wearing it. John Cusack, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, how I've missed you!

    And, may I say, you regularly look gorgeous. I like your points made above, and I'm intrigued at the idea that makeup can be empowering. I think I may have always thought of it as something girls do because they think they have to, not because they want to, which, obviously, isn't always the case.

    Maybe part of my issue is that I've never had makeup on and looked good with it. Plus, I'm lazy. Maybe you'll have to give me awesome egyptian eyes sometime (cuz no way do I know how to put makeup on!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan.

    Girlz nite w/ makeupz.

    Soon.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!