Tuesday, August 3, 2010

(Parentheses)

Whew, it has been a long, grey day (and if you’re cringing at my use of “grey” with an “e,” then stop it and just deal with it- It’s correct and I like the way it looks and it reminds me of mustard). Is it me, or has it been grey for like a whole week now?

It has been brought to my attention that I use parentheses ( ) a lot in my writing (this may or may not be true). ) I was trying to figure out why I do this, and I think I found an answer (and the answer was right under my nose)). The answer is this: I like to write in a conversational tone (ok, that may not be en(tirely clear, so let me elaborate). () I write like (I) speak. When I’m carrying on a conversation, I speak in run-on sentences ((((and constantly add asides)))). So, when I write informally ((which is the same way I speak)), in o)rder to avoid using horribly long sentences with ten commas and thirteen thoughts, I add the asides in (parentheses).(!) ((()(((((()))))((())))(()()()()()()()(((((((((((((((0))))))((()()()()()()())(()()()(0 Woo!

Here is the definition according to Karlonia.com: "Parentheses are punctuation marks that enclose supplementary material such as explanations, clarifications, or afterthoughts within the text of a sentence or paragraph. In standard English prose, an enclosed parenthetical expression provides the reader with information that is interesting to know but does not change the meaning of a sentence in which it is included."

This means I'm using them correctly (right?). (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

(So, if you’re ) irritated with them pop(ping up everywhere all the time, then please accept my humble apology (and then get used to them).
Look what else you can do with parentheses(!):
Hoo (?)

RYAN'S RECOMMENDATIONS:
 
Reading: I'm about 40 pages into Chesapeake by James Michener. So far the story follows a young man named Pentaquod who leaves his village and tribe and canoes down the river to The Chesapeake Bay. I feel like I'm experiencing tasting oysters and goose for the first time with him.
 
Listening: My friend Galen is performing in town tomorrow so I've been listening to his album Some Perspective again in the car. Support local music and download it or buy the CD (if you like it!)

4 comments:

  1. Haha this made me laugh out loud! Also, neat owl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridget, thanks for reading and appreciating my silly sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In addition, victimization was particularly strongly linked to low life
    satisfaction, low self-esteem and how to get a ex boyfriend back fast more
    depressive symptoms in girls who reported low levels of adult as well as from peers.


    my page what can i do to get him back

    ReplyDelete
  4. However many luxury used cars portland, SUV s, and lot
    more. Liberty Media LINTA, which owns about 46%
    of the stock. A common thing that many sports fans often think about is the used cars
    portland that are poorly engineered and bad to drive.
    Such comparison will help borrowers to get used car auto loans is
    quite easy these days. Here are three representative types.
    Be careful, obviously.

    My homepage - cheap used cars under 1000

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!