Thursday, August 5, 2010

Farfels and Three-Legged Ducks

Today was one of those days where I got my ass kicked by life. I just wanted to sit on the floor and throw my hands in the air and say “I give up.” But, on the bright side, I only cried twice (go me!). One thing that helped was today’s post on my favorite blog site, dooce.com. I literally laughed hysterically at my desk. I worship the writer, Heather Armstrong. She’s a total badass, and a professional blogger at that. Sometimes you just need a good laugh (and other times you need a good drink, but I was at work so what was I to do?).

When I got back to Grandma’s House World, I was still feeling pretty down. So, after dinner I went for a run (exercising makes me feel better when I’m having a crap day). Ok, I realize that running right after eating is not advisable (can you say hello dinner?). I usually workout before I have dinner, however, I’m not trying to make my grandma wait to eat, so I’ve been eating dinner with her as soon as I get home. I was going to wait about an hour before I ran, but the weather person was howling about huge, scary thunderstorms coming our way. So, I reckoned, the only way to get a run in was to go right then. So I did. Mmmmm, lasagna burps.

Part of why exercising when I’m down helps is that I have a second to clear my head of all the stressful elements of the day. Usually, the space once occupied by scary-bad-stressful shit gets overtaken by completely random, weird, useless, silly, fun things. And this is good. Today while running, for whatever reason, I started thinking about some things my mother taught my sister and I.

Now, I’m not talking mother-daughter advice or anything like that. I’m talking about how my mom taught my sister and me incorrect things ON PURPOSE. Pause for reaction. Allow me to paint a picture (with words; you saw my half-assed attempts at visual art here): I’m a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed (squirrel?) college freshman English major hanging out with my newly acquired friends. As I’m getting to the bottom of the bag of chips we are all sharing, I politely ask if anyone wants the farfels at the bottom of the bag. That’s right, “farfels.” What, you ask, is a “farfel?” Well, “farfel” is a word my mother made up and taught my sister and I. Of course, I somehow made it 18-years without knowing this wasn’t a word! Farfels are the little crumbs at the bottom of the bag, or the little fuzzies that come off your socks, or the things that make you want to die on-the-spot of embarrassment. They’re just little bits of stuff, basically. But, how is it that a girl who was 18 and majoring in English (words are my thing!) could sincerely grow up to think that a word that is not a word is a word (word yo)? The answer is that my mom is sneaky and has a very silly sense of humor. Oh, and she got my dad in on it. He still says “farfel.” I just imagine my mom stepping aside every so often to laugh evilly in private at sending her kid to college armed with an arsenal of false information. (A PS- There is some argument amongst us about how the “word” farfel is spelled. The way it is presented here is my spelling. My sister insists that such a ridiculous, fake word should be spelled pharphal).

The other famous related incident happened with my sister (thank god. Not sure I could have dealt with two of these). For whatever reason, my mom thought it would be funny to teach her that ducks have three legs. Why ducks? I have no freakin’ clue. But, my sister went to preschool sincerely believing that ducks have three legs. When you’re 4 you believe the things your parents teach you! So, when my sister drew a duck with three legs in class one day, and the teacher asked her why she would do such a thing, my sister most certainly gave her the are-you-stupid? look. “Um, because ducks have three legs, you dumbass.” So, once the teacher discerned that Kathleen sincerely believed ducks to have three legs and that this was something her mom taught her, she called home to chide my mother for teaching her children things that weren’t true. Hil-ar-i-ous, no?
This duck was born in China. So my sister WAS right...

Anyways, some parents might be horrified, but I think this is incredibly funny. People need to stop taking themselves and their kids so seriously! Although, sometimes I still do wonder what else I have been doing or saying that is totally wrong…

(Hi mom!)

Also, one Grandma’s House World moment of panic today: I went to brush my teeth and the plastic cup I keep my toothbrush in had mysteriously disappeared. My toothbrush was put in another cup with MAKEUP BRUSHES (ew). I suspect I will find my cup being held hostage by the dishwasher.

RYAN'S RECOMMENDATIONS:

Listening: Back on a Joni Mitchell kick at the moment. For the Roses, and right now I'm loving "You Turn Me On, I'm a Radio." What a great track.

Reading: Chesapeake. Seriously, I'm ready to read all of Michener's books.

Working Out: As I mentioned above, I've been running, walking, etc. My exercise DVDs are all packed. Frowny face.

9 comments:

  1. Actually, "farfel" is a real word, originating in 1890-95 from the Yiddish "farfl" which was a variation of the Yiddish word for noodles. Today it's "official" use is a noun related to Jewish Cookery -- "a solid foodstuff broken into small pieces: matzo farfel; noodle farfel." Now ... as to 3-legged ducks ... you've already proved that one right with those weird pictures of the Chinese inbred ducklings, ewwww ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahhaa i love this one! i wish i remembered telling my teacher she was wrong! ducks will always have 3 legs and steal hotdogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I am constantly duping my boys, I think I am the only woman I know who has an almost 9 yr/old who still believes in the tooth fairy and *knows* she is 7 feet tall and wears combat boots with velvet soles ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THE DUCK STORY!!!!!!! Never gets old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally adding farfel to my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I'm so glad "farfel" is catching on, and I'm glad not all moms/dads are devoid of a sense of humor! And Dharma, I love your tooth fairy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read my son, Kieran, a book called Frindle in which the main character, a 5th or 6th grader, totally invents the word "frindle" as a substitute for "pen". And it catches on despite his English teacher's attempts to squash his creativity. It's a kids book, but it might be fun to read for a similar perspective. You could probably finish it in a day. --Jason R.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jason,

    Thanks so much, I'll definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erm, I think that strictly speaking any spoken sound that is understood to mean a thing between two or more people constitutes a 'word' but just not necessarily one in 'common usage'. Still, I think that kids should be encouraged to believe lies at every opportunity, prepares them for the real world, politicians, employers and stuff. For some years my daughter was convinced I was a retired pirate...anyway I found my way here via the three-legged duck, many thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!