Friday, August 5, 2011

Me and The Annabel Lee

So, I realized that I never told you all that we named our sailboat "Annabel Lee." It was between that and "Anne Bonny" at the end there. Chris and I skirted the issue for weeks (but it turned out that we both sort of wanted that name all along). I got a text from Chris at work the other day that simply said "Annabel Lee." and I simply texted him back "Agreed." And that was that. So, Annabel Lee is the only other female Chris is allowed to handle (I've decided that the Xbox is a male anyways... ), and I'm sure she'll get lots of attention, especially on weekends...

Chris has been working on getting the rudder assembly put together (the boat came with everything but the rudder assembly b/c someone stole it off the back of the boat when the previous owners had it), and it's finally finished. Chris was ingenious getting and making all the parts we needed (b/c no one sells 1982 Sunbird rudder assemblies). He made a part we needed out of wood and then took it to a metal working shop and had them machine the part out of steel, he made the tiller himself, and, he got all the hardware at Lowe's. Pretty awesome. See below for pictures:
The rudder plate Chris had made
The finished rudder assembly!

Now, we will finally get to take 'er out on the open seas a week from Sunday (and by "the open seas," I mean a big lake). I still haven't gotten Chris the captain's hat I've been threatening to buy (which he says he will refuse to wear), but I may get myself this:
BOAT BITCH Baseball Cap
http://www.cafepress.com/
Or this:
Mutiny! Baseball Cap
http://www.cafepress.com/

Because I have to make up for my lack of sailing skills with humor. I think Chris would look great in a captain's hat... but apparently it's not "cool" or something. Pssssht, whatever. And I'm wondering if I should buy boat shoes. Why? Because that's what you're supposed to wear on sailboats; apparently they are comfortable and don't leave scuff marks. Although, our sailboat is pretty much one big scuff mark, so, yeah, it's probably not worth the expense.

I will keep you all updated on the ongoing process of me learning to sail. Chris has sections of his Annapolis Book of Seamanship picked out for me to read (Baha, "seamanship" is a funny word...). Sorry, there I go again with the humor to compensate for my lack of knowledge and skill. Anyways, he also made a tiny "sailboat" out of wood to show me what the sail does when the boat turns against the wind and with the wind.
Chris showing me the ropes
The fan is the wind source
But, I figure to begin with, I might as well try to look good while on the boat, because that's the contribution I can make right now. Oh, and I can pack a damn good lunch! What do sailing-types eat, I wonder?

In other news, I still have vertigo (which was especially bad at my band's gig last night for some reason), which makes me feel like I'm on a boat. I wonder if I was on a boat it would feel like I was on land...

2 comments:

  1. I'm deathly afraid of boats -laughs- Maybe it's because I don't have my 'sea legs' yet. I'll resort to being a beach bum/landlubber!

    I hope you feel better soon, Vertigo sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely get the Boat Bitch hat. tis epic.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!