Friday, July 1, 2011

Kindred Spirits

Chris inadvertantly (this time!) scared the living Ba-Jeezus out of me the other day. We were cleaning the house and I was scrubbing the half-bath (which has one of those light switches that automatically turns on the fan when you turn on the light... hate hate hate, by the way), and I didn't hear him coming around the corner into the hallway. So, I turned and he was right there, and I jumped about sixty-five feet and gasped! and almost died of a heart attack on the spot. My heart was literally racing for an hour afterwards. I felt truly frightened.

That's when it hit me: I'm like Coltrane.

I'm always on edge. I'm never quite completely comfortable; it's like my body is always ready for the fight or flight reaction. Even when I'm lying down or doing something "relaxing" I'm ready to get the hell out of there if necessary. I'm aware of where the exits are, and I'm quite uncomfortable and claustrophobic if I detect that there is no exit or way to safety.

Conclusion: I am a prey animal.

Bunnies like Coltrane are wired to bolt when something unexpected occurs, and that's because their survival instinct kicks in.

Oh yes, they broke the mold when they made me: Me, the 5-ft 3-in tall, incisor-owning, upright-walking, 120-pound RABBIT.

Happy 4th Everyone!

2 comments:

Talk to Me!