Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Say Cheese!

Whelp folks, it finally happened; I am now the proud, proud owner of a digital SLR camera! And I couldn't be happier with it (Thanks Mom and Merri!). I am so very spoilt. It's the Canon Rebel XS. At first I started playing with the auto mode (which means the camera does all the work for you), but I spent a good hour playing with the different manual settings yesterday post-yoga. SO, that means much better pictures for your viewing pleasure, and probably means that I will make this blog a little more photo-heavy than it has been. So yes, you get to be my little guinea pigs (though I prefer rabbits) when it comes to photography. How lucky are you?

So, here are the best pics (in my humble opinion) from my first manual-setting photo-taking session. I was just in my house, so there's nothing particularly interesting. As I mentioned before, becomming a better photographer is one of my "resolutions" this year. Oh, and I made the photos "extra large" so you can see how crisply this camera captures things. My old camera (now bequeathed to Chris) made things look like they had no depth.



Internet, meet Coltrane-Without-Red-Eye. Coltrane-Without-Red-Eye, Internet.

I really liked this picture of our Christmas tree out-of-focus, but when Chris saw it, he was like "oh." So maybe it is dumb, but I STILL LIKE IT!

I was trying to play with making the foreground clear and the background slightly blurry. Thank you, vacuum cleaner handle.
It doesn't matter if you're black or white... or black and white.


I see London, I see France...


Self-portrait? Got cold after yoga, put on my new flannel (of which Chris has a matching one), standing at the entrance of the half-bath. You know, I kind of hated the mirror until I saw it in black and white. It looks kinda cool.

In other news, our fridge was broken when we got back from doing Christmas with my family on Sunday night. It is now fixed (yay!).

I wanted to get a picture of my new camera with my new camera... so here's the best I could do.

And a crazy-wacko one for good measure...
How freakin' cool is my new camera? I shall have to name her.

Be prepared for lots of photos of boring crap around my house. :)

9 comments:

  1. Hey girl. Happy New Year! Awesome shots, looking forward to more. Best "rebel" name for a chic is Joan. As in Joan Jett, just sayin'.

    Dharma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good in that pic.. all that hard work is paying off! Congrats on your new camera. The pictures look really great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should name her "Mildred". It's unexpected..it's old timey...it's cool.

    Can't wait to see more of what you catch with it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I'm pretty excited about this camera. Hmmm, both "Joan" and "Mildred" are great names... I'll let you all know when I pick one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the camera! My very first camera was only a few steps behind yours, the Canon Rebel XT. It's still my trusty back-up camera for gigs. Enjoy your new toy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Marley! I am enjoying my new toy very much, and it's great that there is so much to learn. Hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am here because you said "Fo Sho" on another blog. I can't pass that up. Anyhoo. Your guy may be many things, of which I have no idea, but he is wrong about the "orb" photo. That is called Bokeh and you did a lovely job at it. Now I shall go read all your secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, FO SHO! Glad you like my Bokeh photo (yes, I am going to pretend like i knew all along that it is called that...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME! i'm filled with envy!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!