Sunday, January 16, 2011

Reading List

I finally finished Chesapeake by James Michener (yes, it look me freakin' FOREVER to read. I haven't been making as much time for reading as I typically like), so I'm moving on to my GIANT reading list. I got several books for Christmas, my sister leant me a book, I have a few I've had on the shelf waiting on me, and I'm ready to read them! At the rate I've been going, it'll take me a year to read all the books on my list. When I was in college, I made a point of reading for pleasure everyday (and that's on top of all the reading I had for school), and went through a book a week. So, here's my reading list:

1. Shakespeare's Christmas, by Charlaine Harris (209 Pages)
This is the third book in a series by Charlaine Harris, who also wrote the books that the show True Blood is based on. These books are short, easy reads. They'd be good beach reads. My sister leant me this book, and I'm planning on tackling this one first, since it is pretty much the opposite of Chesapeake.

2. Things I Learned About My Dad in Therapy, edited by Heather Armstrong (230 Pages)
This is a book of essays by several writers, which was put together by Heather Armstrong (who writes http://www.dooce.com/, which I'm sure I've mentioned before!). The description for the book says that it is "A funny and poignant exploration of fatherhood-- warts, poop, and all." Haha.

3. Hawaii, by James Michener (937 Pages)
So, by the time I finish the first two books, I figure I'll be ready for another Michener book. Chris has read Hawaii already, and he says it's great. Considering the fact that Cheseapeake is probably on my top five list now, I'm pretty sure this book will be one I like as well.

4. Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen (335 Pages)
I believe I mentioned this book in a previous post. The reason I mentioned it is that it was originally written as a National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) book. It takes place during The Great Depression, and follows a man who walks out of his medical school exams to join the circus.

5. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Dubliners, by James Joyce (372 Pages)
I bought a Barnes and Noble Classics book with both of these in it awhile ago, but I have yet to read it. From everything I've heard, reading Joyce is a bit of a dauting task. But, I've never tried, so I'm a gonna.

6. Caribbean, by James Michener (667 Pages)
I got this and Hawaii for Christmas, which is really exciting. Chris will probably read this before I do, and he tends to read more than I do of late, so it will be waiting for me when I get through the other five books on the list!

So, that's 2,750 pages. If I want to finish these books by six months from now, I have to read an average of 15.2 pages a day, which should be pretty easy to do.

Here's the STACK of books I'm planning on reading:

I LOVE BOOKS

Here is the stack next to an average-sized rabbit for scale.
Yeah, baby!
So, I guess I better get started! Anyone have any suggestions for good books to add to my list?
















6 comments:

  1. I have the threapy one...if i u come through richmond let me know and I can lend it to you..I've gotten through the first 5 or so essays and they are great

    ReplyDelete
  2. joyce can be "daunting", but his early shit (which is what you have) is about a million times easier than his later stuff. i might have only gotten through 20 pages of finnigan's wake before i decided to move on to something else in frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Editors Note: That is not an average sized rabbit

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am on the 5th and last Lily Bard book right now (Shakespeare's Champion). I will probably finish it tonight. I love all of her series. The Aurura Teagarden ones were great, too. Makes me so sad that she is just concentrating on the True Blood series now. She did write two stand alone novels sometime ago that I haven't read yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paige, I actually got that book for Christmas, but thanks!

    Knuttle, glad to hear Joyce's earlier stuff will be a little easier on me!

    Anon is Chris.

    Bloon, I already finished Shakespeare's Christmas! But, I'll have to check out the other series she's written as well!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!