Saturday, January 29, 2011

Playlist 2: The Best Songs Ever

So, between my new job (which I'm loving so far after my first full week!) and details surrounding my band's debut album release, life has been incredibly insane. I want you to know that I have not abandoned this blog! I simply have a lot going on. As I settle in to a new routine, I'm sure I will be able to write more often.

Here is my second playlist for you. These are The Best Songs Ever. Period. No "arguably"s or "in my opinion"s or anything of that BS. These are not in ranked order; they are just the best songs ever in the order that I thought of them. And I'd like to make the distinction that these are the best versions of the best songs ever as well... I mean seriously, you can't compare Bob Dylan with Peter, Paul, and Mary (cough cough), right? And, I didn't want to use the same artist more than once. Also a note: These are all in the pop/rock/R&B/folk realm. If I took jazz into consideration, this list would be 50 songs long!

-"Midnight Train to Georgia," by Gladys Knight and the Pips
-"Don't Let Me Down," by The Beatles
-"The Weight," by The Band with The Staple Singers (The Last Waltz version)
-"Tupelo Honey," by Van ("The Man") Morrison
-"Diamonds and Rust," by Joan Baez
-"I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)," by Aretha Franklin
-"A Change is Gonna Come," by Sam Cooke
-"Try a Little Tenderness," by Otis Redding
-"Cactus Tree," by Joni Mitchell (The live Miles of Aisles version from 1974)
-"Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys
-"Jolene," by Dolly Parton
-"Let's Get it On," by Marvin Gaye
-"Helpless," by Neil Young (The Last Waltz version with The Band and Joni Mitchell singing backups)
-"My Little Town," by Simon and Garfunkel (I could only find a live version of this online, but I mean the studio version!)
-"Tutti Frutti," by Little Richard
-"Amie," by Pure Prairie League
-"Superstition," by Stevie Wonder
-"Whipping Post," by The Allman Brothers (The live 23-minute version from Live at the Fillmore East version... the recording I linked to says it is 1/3 of the song!)
-"The Rainbow Connection," by Kermit the Frog

You're welcome. There are many more amazing, awesome songs, obviously. But, this is MY Best Songs Ever list, so I get to decide what goes on it.

I think my dad would be proud of how much of the music-appreciation he imparted on me (Hi Dad!) stuck. I'm more than a little happy about it too. He and I both do this thing when we're excited about a song (or even a small part of a song): We make the people around us listen to it, even though we know they'll never quite love it as much as we do or the same way we do. But, we just want so badly for that person to feel what we feel when that song is playing, so, we try anyways. Many of the songs above came into my life because of my dad (and many of them move me to tears simply because they're so good), and I'd just like to give him a shout-out. Plus, he plays a MEAN air guitar.

Also, I'd like to officially announce my band's CD Release Party at The Southern in Charlottesville, VA on Saturday, March 5! Tickets are $10 and include a copy of the album. If you're in the area, it would be lovely to see you there! Here's a link to the venue's website: http://www.thesoutherncville.com/. If you scroll down to March 5th, you'll see the listing for our show, and you can buy tickets right off the site. Exciting! Maybe someday someone else will put one of our songs on their Best Songs Ever list...

2 comments:

  1. Where's "Africa" by Toto?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ryan - a great description of our need to attempt to share - and wondering why all 50 people at a party aren't just enthralled with the songs playing, like we are. Can't wait for the 5th - very proud of you and happy that I might have had a small part in sparking the amazing things you have done with Music and my appreciation for and total lack of understanding how one writes a a song (though "Amadeus" helped). Love Dad

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!