Saturday, October 15, 2011

When it Rains It Pours

Well, I have no clue what the weather has been like where you live dear readers, but it has been rainy and grey for about three weeks straight here (today I can finally see blue sky though! Thanks goodness! I was about to lose what's left of my sanity).

As if that's not depressing enough, for whatever reason, The Palace has started crumbling around us. The trouble started about a week ago: We could hear a drip-drip-drip sound in our attic. We knew that wasn't a good thing. Then, a day or two later, we noticed a crack in our ceiling right where we were hearing the drip-drip-drip sound. Then, we contacted the landlord. That day, a guy came out and got on the roof and apparently patched some things up.

Well, it kept right on raining, and the roof kept right on leaking, despite the work the man did, until water started dripping from the crack in the ceiling (the fixer-guy said he wasn't going to patch the ceiling until he knew that the roof was no longer leaking and when he landlord gave him the green light). So, we had to put a big ole container on the floor under it to catch the water since it was raining IN our house.
The soaked ceiling and the leak
You can see the drip-drip-drip
Mr. Bucket (Balls do not pop out of his mouth)
Oy, and then it started raining harder. And then it kept leaking. And the landlords said nothing could be done while it was still raining, because it would be pretty dangerous to put someone on the roof in the rain. So, things just got worse:

Chris said he barely touched the ceilng and it disintegrated at his touch (hole on the right)
So, now it smells like a wet dog in our house (I guess it's wet insulation or something), and it's humid and gross and bad.

Mr. Fixer  Man told Chris that he thinks our entire roof needs replaced, but, of course, since we rent, that's not up to us. We'll see what the landlords decide to do I guess. It's pretty disconcerting to know that our roof lacks integrity though. I mean, what are we going to do when it snows this winter? Snow is heavy.

SO, we've been dealing with all of this stuff, and then all this other stuff went wrong:

-A shot glass fell down the drain, and I didn't know it, and I turned on the garbage disposal. The shot glass shattered, so now there are tiny pieces of glass still stuck in our kitchen sink drain. Then, it stopped working altogether. Fantastic.

-I think I've mentioned that I locked myself out in the rain the other day when Chris was out of town.

-Chris cut himself multiple times while sailing on Tuesday:
Ew!

-The lightbulb in our foyer burnt out.

-The lightbulb at the top of the stairs burnt out.

-Our screen door hasn't been able to shut in awhile, Mr. Fixer Guy fixed it, and now it's already messed up again.

And all of this was going on during an extremely busy week at work and an extremely busy week for the band (we have two gigs this weekend and had to learn several new songs).

So, I've barely been able to hold it together. I mean, it's already difficult enough for me to deal with it getting cold. I hate cold.

I hope you all have had better luck than we have lately!

1 comment:

  1. Hey - Just wanted to pop in to say I'm sorry you are having so many property issues. I don't know what you're relationship with your landlord is like but I urge you to a) research your housing laws and b) insist on a meeting with him re: your roof. I am concerned for you. There may be some nasty stuff up there that should not be in your house (falling into a bucket). Also, what does that HOLE/damage do to your heating/energy bills? The landlord is responsible for fixing all that stuff ASAP, including burnt out bulbs. Hope things improve soon!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!