Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Ryan & Ryania

Well, I had more than a slightly stressful day. Girl-On-Verge-of-Tears-at-Office no do stress well! I think I may be giving myself an ulcer for my 25th birthday. I seriously need to learn to chill out. The problem with me is that chilling out does not come naturally at all. I actually do need to LEARN to chill.  I need to take "Chilling 101" or something. Although, I may very well fail a class like that (by being too concerned with doing well).

Anyways, to unwind after my day-from-hell, I scoured the Netflix Instant choices for the girliest, chickiest chick-flick I could find to get my mind off of things (and since Chris works late today, I could totally get away with it; no moans or groans or exaggerated sighs or anything). The thing about Netflix Instant is that it mostly has crappy movies to watch; the good stuff is mostly saved for the discs. So, when I found Julie and Julia on there, I was quite excited. Not only do I LOVE food, but I also LOVE blogging! And Meryl Streep! And French things! And love stories! And...well, you get the picture.

I love that Julie (Who is Julie Powell, the woman who actually wrote the Julie/Julia Project blog) ends up being able to use her blog as a springboard to a career as a writer (why would I love that? Just cuz.....). The thing is, Julie Powell had a thing. I don't want to say a "gimmick," but rather something that made her stand out while simultaneously appealing to a mass audience (my mom told me that everyone saw Julia Child's TV show when she was young). But, she also had all of Julia Child's work (her cookbook, which represents 8 years of work) to use as material. That's why the movie/book is is Julie AND Julia. Here it's just Ryan and... well, that's it.

Sometimes I wonder if I should focus on one particular theme as the subject for this blog, but I wonder if I wouldn't exhaust the possibilities too quickly. I tried writing a blog for small-breasted women for awhile, but I did end up running out of ideas. Plus, part of the fun of a personal blog is getting to write about whatever whenever. The scary part is wondering if anyone is enjoying it, or even reading it at all.

So, thank you to everyone who has read this even once. This site got up to 2,500 hits today, which is awesome (though I'm sure about half of that number is related to me!). I'm really enjoying writing about my life, and I love having the freedom to be goofy when I'm feeling goofy, and serious when I'm feeling serious.

Ok, gotta run. There are so many things I have yet to stress about today, and I wouldn't them to feel left out.


RYAN'S RECOMMENDATIONS:

Listening: Chris Thile Pandora station. Relaxing. Ish. This morning a DJ mispronounced "Thile." (He called him Chris "Tee-lay." I shuddered. It's "Theelee" for those of you aren't familiar. You're allowed to mispronounce it. DJs ARE NOT.

Reading: Chesapeake by James Michener.

Watching: Julie & Julia!

Working Out: 30-Day Shred, Jillian Michaels.


8 comments:

  1. I was super skeptical about Julie & Julia when I saw preview for it and I LOVED it. One of my more favourite movies.

    I thought about starting a "theme" blog too. But that would just be too much work for me. I'm not an artsy person, so trying to be creative when it comes to writing just isn't my thing. So I've stuck with my random - no subject blog and I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know a lot more people read your blog then just family! i get comments from people all the time saying they love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy! you mean because I read your blog, we're related? awesome, send me a birthday present ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @urban: yeah, it's kinda nice to just write about whatever you want!

    @kathleen: well, that makes me feel good, thanks!

    @dharma: Ha, I will get you a bday present, but that means you have get ME one too! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read her book? It's quite good. The part about having to hack apart a beef leg bone with a kitchen knife to get at the marrow, and later discovering that the butcher would have sawed it in two at no charge, was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, feefifoto, I have not read the book. I really should!

    ReplyDelete
  7. (I read your blog. I'm just sayin'.)
    I also checked out Almost B, and I liked it. I can see how you'd run out of material, though. There's so LITTLE (sorry, insensitive boob pun).

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahahaha, the insensitive boob pun made me laugh at my desk, so it's forgiven.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!