Thursday, June 16, 2011

Will Eat for Food: Part 2 of 2

Every Thursday, I try to make a new dish for dinner. You know why? Because I am sick of all the stuff I make all the time. As Chris would say, "BOOOOOOOOOORING..." Also, as I've mentioned, I'm trying to be a little healthier.

Anyways, Thursdays are the days where I have a little time to whip something interesting up before Chris gets home. I wish I'd started taking pictures of all the dishes I've tried to make, but I didn't until recently.

The thing that first inpsired me to try making new things was a magazine I found in this cottage that Chris's parents stayed in when they came down to visit in April. The magazine is called Eating Well, and I thought that pretty much everything in it sounded wonderfully delicious and healthy. So, I stole the magazine, naturally.

I made this AMAZING recipe out of it that was oven-roasted leeks with chicken and a little bit of cream over whole-wheat pasta. Since I didn't get a picture of it, here's the picture from the magazine:
And holy shit, it was GOOD. I could eat it once a week!

I also recently made this yummy egg dish with smoked salmon and avocado (two of my favorite things... seriously, if I could only pick two foods to eat for the rest of my life, I'm pretty sure they would be salmon and avocado). Check it out:
The dressing on the salad in the picture came from Eating Well also. It's an avocado-cilantro dressing. It was ok... not spectacular.

Let's see, I made Mediterranean wraps (with cous-cous, parsley, lemon, feta, tomatoes, cucumbers, and chicken) a couple weeks ago, and I made my own turkey burgers last week.

Tonight, I'm making seared tuna. I made a marinade out of soy sauce, wasabi, brown sugar, rice vinegar, and garlic, and I will be throwing it on a pan of hot oil for about 30-seconds. I'm also making a veggie stir fry with rice noodles to go along with it. Yum.
I will try to keep documenting my cooking experiments, as it will also keep me accountable in making something new and healthy each week.

Suggestions are more than welcome!

3 comments:

  1. YUM! :-) make sure that tuna is seared rare! nothing worse than over-cooked tuna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, Although its approach is more techie than most English majors will cotton to, Cook's Illustrated is a reliably fun read if you're getting serious about cooking"experiments."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beanst, don't worry, the tun came out great! Nice and raw in the middle.

    JD, thanks so much! That actually sounds like something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!