Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sun Sick

I've been having this weird issue of late, which is that I've been breaking out into a rash after being out in the sun for prolonged periods of time. It seems as if my body is turning on me in my old age. Now, I realize there are worse things out there, and that I should be grateful that I'm mostly healthy. I am grateful, but it's just that I LOVE being outside, and I love wearing shorts, tanktops, flipflops, etc. I love the beach, I love kayaking, I love wearing as few articles of clothing as posssible (yes, there is a parallel b/t how much I love being outside and how much I love food)... I love the sun, but it does not love me.

I went to a dermatologist today and was told that I have Polymorphous Light Erruption, which is, indeed, a sun allery. The description is below:

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/polymorphous-light-eruption/DS00911.html

So, as the summer progesses, the allergy should become less intense. I hope so. I really do.

Seriously, who the hell is allergic to the sun? You know, the sun: The giver of ALL LIFE.

6 comments:

  1. Haha, I am allergic to the sun too - it sucks. But it does get better as you re-build up your "immunity" to the sun over the summer.. sadly it will still probably be back next year :-/

    plus, until you, i never knew anyone else with a sun allergy, so hey, that gives us a pretty unique conversation topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps we should start a sun allergy support group... "Hi, I'm Ryan and I'm allergic to the sun..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That happened to me on my honeymoon! I'm afraid of my trip to Hawaii in a week...it really sucked being covered in a rash after a couple of days, and I don't wanna go through that again. Took it about a week and a half of slathering myself in Aveeno lotion after we got back for my skin to stop feeling bumpy/itchy. :(

    I'm gonna go read more about it now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faith, my dermatologist was great and gave me an RX for a topical steroid cream... apparently it will help a lot when/if I break into a sun rash again. Also, when I broke out, antihistamines helped a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!