Monday, June 20, 2011

Walking on Egg Shells

I was making a cake with some wonderful girls a little while ago, and, when I went to put the spoon that I had used to eat cake batter into the dishwasher, I asked my friend if the spoon should go head up or head down. She looked at me like I was slightly crazy; like, why would you ask about something so silly? Do whatever the hell you want, right?

In my life, wrong.

Growing up with divorced parents meant two separate households with two separate sets of expectations and rules. For example, at one house, silverware went into the dishwasher head up. At the other, it went head down. Now, that seems like it should be easy to remember, but that's not the only difference there was between the two, so it's understandable that I had issues keeping things straight.

Honestly, now that I'm thinking through the differences between my two households, I'm thinking it's a wonder my sister and I aren't schizo.

Here are some examples:
Dad's House: Egg shells go into the trash.
Mom's House: Egg shells go into the garbage disposal.

Dad's House: Wooden spoons are not to be placed into the dishwasher.
Mom's House: Why on earth wouldn't you put wooden spoons into the dishwasher?

Dad's House: The house should be kept cold.
Mom's House: It's freezing in here, turn up the heat!

Dad's House: After using a frying pan, immediately put it in the sink and run water into it so it can soak.
Mom's House: Absolutely do not run water into the frying pan; it will ruin the non-stick material!

Dad's House: Coffee is the caffeinated beverage of choice.
Mom's House: Tea is the caffeinated beverage of choice.

Dad's House: The dogs stay outside.
Mom's House: The dog stays inside.

Dad's House: Call us at 10:00 PM no matter where you are to let us know you're ok.
Mom's House: Wake us up when you get home so we know you're ok.

Dad's House: No need to eat breakfast; there isn't time!
Mom's House: You are not leaving this house until you are stuffed full of eggs. And throw the egg shells into the disposal, please.

After thinking through that, I feel like I'll accidentally put the egg shells into the dishwasher aftering soaking the wooden spoons in the sink.

Oy!

4 comments:

  1. we totally ARE schizo haha. strangely enough at home now i throw away egg shells and put wooden spoons in the dishwasher...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just goes to show that there are no wrong answers *really*... Right?

    Also--no wonder you were astounded that I let you use as many spoons as you wanted and didn't care how they went in the dishwasher. No rules at Beth's. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Beth, now you know why I'm so insane!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!