Monday, September 17, 2012

Today, I Peed in the River

(Actually, this happened yesterday...)

Guys, I know I've already done a post about peeing outside... and I know that we've already discussed several strategies and differing opinions of how to handle it when nature calls for us women-folk when we're, well, in nature. But, I felt that this recent story was worth sharing, as it bring up some new issues/concerns.

On Sunday morning, Chris and I went sailing. After we stopped for soda/coffee, we drove to this public boat ramp to put in on a river. After we got the boat in the water, but before we pushed off, I realized that I kinda had to pee. However, unfortunately, there is no restroom anywhere close to this boat ramp. There are houses all around the river, and there were people constantly pulling in and out of the VERY PUBLIC boat ramp area. Also, there were no trees I could lean against that would keep me from view, the ground was marshy/wet, and did I mention that there were houses all around?

SO, I decided I would get on the boat anyways. Meh, I'd be fine.

Big. Mistake.

There was a pretty light breeze, so though we were moving, we were not moving fast. It was also a bit chilly and overcast. We kept our eyes out for spots on the shore where we could anchor so I could pee, but, as I mentioned, there were houses everywhere. So, after a good while, I was to the point where I was in pain, so we decided to turn around and head back towards the boat ramp. I was determined to make it until we could get to a bathroom.

But alas, on the way back, the going was even slower. Chris was making plans for me to hop in his van as soon as we got back to drive to a restroom, but at one point, I realized there was no way I would make it. I was in tears it hurt so bad. So, I made the executive decision to strip down to my skivvies, hop in the very chilly water and finally get some relief. So, I did.

Getting back in the boat was interesting, for sure (how Chris kept from laughing I'll never know), and then, after that, there was the matter of me being freezing. I layered up, and we continued to head to shore.

So ladies, I know this is totally TMI, but something I didn't know is that bad things can happen from holding one's urine for too long. According to everydayhealth.com, a "common cause of UTI is holding urine longer than you should." Let's just say I'll be on antibiotics for the next five days. Sheesh.

But seriously, what would you have done in my situation? I couldn't leave once we had the boat in the water, because the boat ramp was busy and you're not supposed to take up all the space for too long. I couldn't just pop a squat in front of a bunch of random people, nor could we anchor off of someone's lawn so I could "water" their plants! What's a girl to do?

3 comments:

  1. Just FYI. You probably got the UTI from peeing in the river. Anytime you pee in a non-chlorinated freshwater, bacteria can easily travel back up the urethra. Next time try to be a few inches above the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive waded in the river waist deep just to pee in it. I push my bottoms down to mid thigh and then pee standing in the water. I've never got a infection from peeing in the river

      Delete
  2. We had a boat that had no toilet on it. When I had to pee I did it over the side.
    When I had to pee i got some TP then with my back to the side of the boat I pushed my jeans/shorts and panties to my knees. I sat on the back of my legs on the side of the boat with my rear over the side and peed in teh river. Finished I wiped and tossed my used TP in the river. As I stood back up I pulled my panties up followed by my jeans/shorts.
    Be sure to hold on to the boat so you won't fall out if the boat rocks.
    Kellygirl59

    ReplyDelete

Talk to Me!